Monday, May 11, 2009

Which hat to wear today?



The signs and sounds of spring are everywhere. I am being pulled in so many different directions at once ~ it's hard to focus on any one thing. With our finances in such despair, anything that brings in cash should certainly take precedence. With these economic times, I have been forced to rent out our lake cottage throughout most of the summer, which puts an added pressure on me to enjoy it now while I can. So truck loaded every weekend I head out with bags packed with a nagging, haunting cloud of guilt as I pull away.

We have been busy doing projects up to our camp, one of which is a new rock retaining wall. My love of all things granite is bordering obsession. Next up, we're building a new dock out of leftover materials from the houses we've built in the past.

I still try to mix business with pleasure and travel with Createk's faux boulders in tow. I casually unload them in front of the cottage for neighbors lucky enough to have been blessed with those unsightly septic pipes, well heads, and propane tank covers. A wealthy banker who resides a few doors down has a gorgeous Adirondack cabin with, yes, you guessed it, a septic pipe smack dab in the middle of his lawn. I was washing a few dishes looking out the window over the sink and saw my husband run to the boulder as he saw the banker pulling out of his driveway. He looked as if he was Vanna White at the letter board quickly pretending he needed to move it from one side of the yard to the other. The only thing he was missing was a big neon sign saying "buy me". Shameless! What have we stooped to? Oh well, no luck this weekend but you can be sure we'll try again. Maybe the neighbor isn't stopping because he thinks my husband is Hercules obsessed with moving boulders?

Tomorrow is hump day and I will already be packing up to do it all over again. Hopefully New Hampshire's black fly season will be over. That's a story for another day....


No comments:

Post a Comment